Get on trend with Pantone’s official color of the year 2014, Radiant Orchid! A mix between magenta and fuchsia, this pretty hue had lots of mixed feelings of both love and hate after its launch. I have to admit; I was never a huge fan of purple and never really considered using the color throughout my decorating. After I heard Radiant Orchid was the chosen color of the year, I got lots of ideas on how to sneak the color in indirect ways throughout my decorating. The key is to use the color in small doses or to color block with it. Too much purple isn’t for everyone and it doesn’t mean you have to wrap your room from ceiling to floor to stay on trend.
Follow these easy tips to decorate using Radiant Orchid to stay on trend for 2014:
- Scared to take the plunge? Try a tiny splash of radiant orchid using fabrics that include this bold hue such as small accessories like pillows, throws, and even a nice vase
- Find a lush throw blanket in orchid and drape it over your sofa for an instant hit of color and a furniture makeover that takes seconds
- If you are a true fan of purple wrap your whole room in a few gallons orchid but keep the rest of your accessories muted
- Radiant orchid looks best paired with darker flooring. If you aren’t lucky enough to have the right floors to match, install darker hardwood using a floor adhesive or simply slather on a dark lacquer on your existing floors for a rich, luxurious look
- Bring life to an old headboard and reupholster it in the color of the year, add studs and you’ve hit two trends with one stone!
- For a big impact, opt for a large upholstered piece of furniture in radiant orchid. Pair it with grey, taupe, and cream colored accessories to let this hue shine.
Kristina Wolf Design