16 responses

1. Sara
    January 13, 2014

How did you get the marble on the bottom?! Love it!

2. Emilia
    October 29, 2014

Absolutely gorgeous! I have some Target side tables, very much like your coffee table (glass only, no marble) and this would look gorgeous. (The marble is not real stone?! I can hardly believe it!) Now, do you suggest spray painting gold before, just to get a gold-tone below? I was actually thinking of doing silver leaves, instead of gold, to match everything else in my living room.
    Thanks for sharing this beautiful project.

• Suzy Q
      November 19, 2014

No problem Emilia, glad you liked it!

• Emilia
        November 19, 2014

Sorry, but I have to ask you: do you suggest spray painting the tables (frames) with a gold tone, in order to get a gold-tone below before you gold-leaf them?

3. David
    January 26, 2015

Emilia,

Having just done this hack I would say it does help if you have gold colored surface to start with versus the stock brown. That way if you miss a few spots it will be much less noticeable…unless of course….you want a bit of a distressed look which you will get if you let some of the brown show through your gold leafing.

• Emilia
      January 29, 2015

Thank you, David!

4. Chelsea
    May 8, 2015

Hi Emilia!

I have been looking for gold coffee tables EVERYWHERE and the only affordable ones I can find are from Safavieh and they’re sold out in every store 🙁

I was SO happy to find your Ikea hack, because this is exactly what I was looking for! You did a beautiful job. I have one question about the Ikea coffee table. Is it possible to remove the bottom table entirely? The one you have marbeled? I don’t really want a bottom table unless it was glass like the top, so I was wondering if it was removable and if it is, does it look funny without it?

Thank you!

• Suzy Q
      May 11, 2015

Hi Chelsea,

I’m pretty sure you can remove the bottom marble top, it doesn’t look funny without it – the smaller table doesn’t have the marble top and it looks stunning!

• Chelsea
        May 16, 2015

Thank you so much!! I’m going to pick it up today. So excited 🙂

5. emily
    July 6, 2015

This looks great! Do you know if it would be possible to add a real marble slab at the bottom?

• Suzy Q
      July 8, 2015

Hi Emily, I’m not sure that would work since Ikea furniture is not heavy duty made from wrought iron. A marble slab is quite heavy.

6. Mark Isbell
    July 26, 2015

Can I ask if this is the white table you have used and not the brown?
    I guess it is white as the bottom shelf is white.

• Suzy Q
      July 27, 2015

It was originally black-brown and the bottom self was painted to create a faux-marble effect.

7. Mark Isbell
    July 27, 2015

Thank you for letting me know about the colour. I bought the white one )-:

It’s no problem to change it though. Do you think the brown has a better result with the gold spray?

• Suzy Q
      August 5, 2015

I think the gold will work perfectly over the white table, if not better!