Broken Glass Windows? Here’s Exactly How to Repair Them

Glass repair sounds like a messy ordeal, but it doesn’t have to be if you choose the right professionals to do the job. Here are some expert tips on how to get the job done right the first time!

glass shelves living room decoratingPhoto: Intarya

Having a broken glass window, broken, glass shelving, or even a broken glass wall in your home can be not only dangerous, but also urgent to get fixed. Sometimes, taking something to the professionals is the best way to get the job done safely and quickly. Who to call? Here’s a easy guide:

At Home: Glass Repair House Calls

Home is where the heart is, which is why homeowners are so particular when it comes to deciding who they will work with for home repairs. In terms of shattered or broken glass, someone who is trained, skilled, and experienced can only do the job. Before you call the first company you find on the Internet, be sure to determine whether or not they have experience with residential repairs. This is important because companies specializing in commercial repair will be accustomed to different materials and sizes. So if you choose them to do your residential repairs, they may not be the best choice. This is why having a consultation or over-the-phone conversation is a wise move.

glass bricks bathroom decor ideasPhoto: Peregrine Design Build

At the Office: Commercial Repair and Maintenance

Calling the commercial glass repair and maintenance crew is your best bet if you have larger scale windows and sliding doors. If you have an office away from home, this is the repair team you want to be calling. They specialize in many different types of “commercial” businesses, for example in a restaurant they may be having trouble with the sliding doors on their refrigerator units. On the other hand, a medical office could need help fixing their window partitions.

Screen Shot 2016-05-08 at 9.53.02 AMPhoto: Ron Rosenzweig

On the Go Glass Repair

Yet what about the repairs needed on a car, truck, or other vehicle? Do you call a commercial or residential service provider? Well, this is when you really need to do your homework and figure out which businesses have experience in repairing auto glass. In many cases, this type of glass will differ from those in workplaces and houses. Since vehicles are up against all kinds of debris, weather conditions, and unexpected circumstances, you need someone who has the knowledge and expertise to get you the assistance you require.

tufted cream sofa living room decor glass shelvingPhoto: Laura Potter Designs

This entry was posted in How To and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Broken Glass Windows? Here’s Exactly How to Repair Them

1. Annie Frances says:

My daughter accidentally threw an apple into our window and it cracked. I obviously need a residential window repair service that can come by and fix my window. Thanks for your tip to make sure they work with my specific type of window treatment I have. I will have to call different companies and ask them over the phone. Thanks.

2. Jorge McMillan says:

I agree with the point you make about the only right way to truly fix a broken window is to hire someone that is trained, skilled, and experienced to fix it properly. By hiring professional, like this article mentions, brings in experts who know how to work with all sizes and styles of window, which will make the replacement process so much better. It’s worth taking the time to find a good replacement company that have workers like this and will do a good job at the replacement.

3. Kyle O'Ren says:

I like your tip to make sure that if you hire someone for a residential repair you should check to make sure they have experience with home repairs. Commercial glass is very different from residential glass and if they aren’t familiar you could be getting less than the best. I’ll have to make sure I check on this before I hire someone for my next glass job.

4. Sammy Burke says:

Knowing that a commercial glass repair crew can fix large scale windows and sliding doors is something that my father would need find. I say that because his sliding glass door broke due to my son hitting his head on it. Even though the impact created a small crack, my father is still wanting to find someone to do a glass repair on it.

5. Jen Pack says:

The glass in a little window on my front door just broke the other day, so I am really glad that you include information about residential glass repair in this post. It’s interesting how you point out that it is important to call a professional to get it repaired, but it is also important to make sure we call someone who has had experience with residential repairs. Perhaps it would be a good idea to make sure that a company has good residential reviews online before calling them.

6. Jon Lopez says:

I agree with you. When dealing with broken glass at your home you should get a professional to help replace the window. My son broke my back window last week. I just have it taped up right now, but it really needs to be replaced. Winter is coming and my home will be very cold if I do not get that fixed.