I’m always looking how to add a surge of style to neglected spaces in a room. One place we don’t think to add some attention to are our doors! Just think about the endless possibilities you could do from contrasting moldings, trim, and even adding wallpaper! One cute way I’ve come across to make your unnoticed doors instantly pop is adding a rocker nail head trim. Keep reading for full instructions on this easy weekend DIY:
- Exotic colored paint (optional)
- 1-inch wide painters’ tape
- Nail-head upholstery tacks (approximately 600 ½ inch domes and 1-inch squares for corners)
- Permanent-ink marker
- Felt furniture pad to cover hammer
- Remove door from hinges and paint with exotic colored paint if desired. Let it dry.
- Decide on the design for you nail heads and measure it out with a ruler. This second photo’s design is 1 inch from the door edge and the inner rectangles are 3 ½ inches from the door edge with 2 ½ inches between the 2 inner rectangles to clear the knob.
- Tape off the design with painters’ tape and make the inner edge of the tape the line where you wish your tacks to be.
- Check the measurement per tack. Use a ruler and marker to measure and mark off along the inner tape edge where each tack will be inserted.
- Place awl at each marking, and tap it with the hammer to start a hole. Remove tape.
- Start in the middle of each rectangle, working outwards and gently tap the tacks into place with the hammer. Cover the hammer tip with the felt pad to avoid marking the tack. End with the corner tacks. And… voila!