I recently got a message from a puzzled reader that would love to makeover her yellow room. It may be a little tricky decorating with yellow walls, but here are some simple guidelines to follow:
- Choose the right shade – for a home filled with neutral tones use a yellow with deep golden undertones like mustard yellow. For a home with bright, light colors, use a lighter canary yellow especially if your room gets lots of light.
- White is your friend and one of the best complementary colors to yellow. Use it on trims, moldings, shelves, lamps, and furniture.
- Reserve color for accessories like flowers, picture frames, art, and accents.
- Consider painting your ceiling in a contrasting sky blue color for an instant pop.
- Choose accent colors like sky blue, bright or emerald green, purple, pink, or orange. If you have dark yellow walls, choose a richer shade like chocolate brown, burnt orange or forest green.
- Stick to one or two accent colors to keep the room from looking busy and consider installing mirror tiles to make your home seem even bigger than it really is.
Below is one of my favorite color palette using yellow: